How To Order Tie Rod Assemblies
Tie Rod Assemblies also known Architectural Rod Assemblies, Canopy Tie Rod Assemblies, or Clevis Assemblies can be difficult to order if your not accustomed to them. We here at Industrial Hardware and Specialties have tried to simplify the process. Just follow the steps that are laid out below. If you need any additional guidance we are here to help. We provide what Amazon and eBay can't, professional design knowledge.
When ordering a Tie Rod Assembly the first decision you need to make is to choose the configuration you need. At Industrial Hardware and Specialties, Inc. we offer Three Tie Rod Assembly configurations.
The Fixed Length Tie Rod Assembly consists of a rod with a left hand threaded clevis on one end and a right hand threaded clevis on the other end.
The Adjustable Length Tie Rod Assembly consists of right handed clevises on both ends of the assembly with a turnbuckle centered directly in the middle.
Adjustable Length Tie Rod Assembly with Off-Center Turnbuckle consists of right handed clevises on both ends of the assembly with a turnbuckle offset from the center.
2. Stud Grades and Surface Coating
Stud Grade and Surface Coating may impact the lead time, and cost of a Tie Rod Assembly. If you need a grade not offered by this configurator, place your request in the notes section.
- ASTM F1554-Grade 36 : Low carbon, 36 ksi yield steel.
- ASTM F1554-Grade 55 : High strength, low alloy, 55 ksi yield steel.
- ASTM F1554-Grade 105 : Alloy, heat treated, high strength 105 ksi yield steel.
- ASTM A449 Type 1 : Plain carbon steel, carbon boron steel, alloy steel, or alloy boron steel. 1/4" - 1", 92 ksi min yield strength. 1-1/8" - 1-1/2", 81 ksi min yield strength. 1-5/8" - 3", 58 ksi min yield strength.
- ASTM A193-Grade B7 : Alloy steel, AISI 4140/4142 quenched and tempered. Up to 2-1/2", 105 min yield strength. 2-5/8" - 4", 95 min yield strength. 4-1/8" - 7", 75 min yield strength.
- ASTM A354-Grade BD : Medium-Carbon Alloy, quenched and tempered. 1⁄4" - 2-1⁄2", 130 ksi yield. 2-5⁄8" - 4", 115 ksi yield.
- Stainless Steel Type 304 : Versatile, general purpose stainless steel with good resistance to atmospheric corrosion, and to many chemicals. 30 ksi min
- Stainless Steel Type 316 : Commonly used in industrial applications and high-saline environments due to it's high corrosion resistance. Protects against chlorides, industrial solvents, and de-icing salts. 30 ksi min
3. Pin to Pin
The length of the Tie Rod Assembly from the centerline of the clevis pin on one end of the assembly to the centerline of the clevis pin on the opposite end.
4. Rod Diameter
Your choice of Rod Diameter will determine compatible clevis and turnbuckle size options. Some diameters of rod may be utilized with more than one clevis size. A larger Clevis may affect the size of the "grip" (distance between the clevis ears). The wider the grip the larger the plate a clevis can be fixed to.
5. Clevis Number
The Clevis Number identifies the physical size of the forging. Using our Configurator you will be presented with compatible clevis number options based on your choice of rod diameter.
6. Clevis Pin Ø (Diameter)
A clevis pin is a piece of round bar that has been drilled out so cotter pins can be inserted into either end. Maximum and Minimum Clevis Pin options will be calculated by the configurator. Choose the size that best suits your needs.
7. Clevis Grip
The Clevis Grip is the distance between the clevis ears. The wider the grip the larger the plate a clevis can be fixed to. The configurator will calculate the Maximum and Minimum Clevis Grip Size for your Tie Rod Assembly. Choose the size that best suits your needs
Key Clevis Dimensions
|Clevis#||Nut End||Throat (Gap)|
8. Take-Up* Adjustable Length Tie Rod Assembly, and Adjustable Length Tie Rod Assembly with Off-Center Turnbuckle only
Total length that the end fittings can screw in and out of the turnbuckle body to take up tension. Our Configurators will determine the available turnbuckle options from earlier selections.
9. Pin to Middle of Turnbuckle* Adjustable Length Tie Rod Assembly with Off-Center Turnbuckle only
The length from the centerline of the clevis pin on one end of the assembly to the centerline of the turnbuckle.